Alcalingua is the University of Alcalá's centre for teaching Spanish to foreigners and for training Spanish teachers. It is located in the historic centre of Alcalá de Henares: in the old college of San Patricio or Los Irlandeses, a university college founded in the mid-seventeenth century which was dedicated to the study of theology.
It was created in order to facilitate learning of the Spanish language among foreign students. Over time, it has supplemented its academic activities related to teaching Spanish to foreign students to include training teachers of Spanish and publishing teaching materials (both in print and online).
The centre works with other organisations dedicated to the dissemination of the Spanish language (the Cervantes Institute) and organisations working with foreign students (APUNE, Erasmus Association, etc.); it also actively participates in European research projects.
- University teaching, which prioritises training for competences, with active and innovative methodologies, according to the guidelines of European Social Council and the Cervantes Institute.
- Highly experienced teachers providing support and mentoring at a high level.
- Specially selected ELE materials.
- An assessment system that covers the learning process and the student's entire work, and not just a final examination.
- A virtual platform for support and communication throughout the course.